MetallicGR

Ο Dov Frohman εφευρέτης της EPROM μιλά στην Intel

Η Intel κλείνει φέτος 50 χρόνια ύπαρξης και παίρνει συνεντεύξεις από κορυφαία στελέχη της, όπως τον Dov Frohman ο οποίος εφηύρε την μνήμη EPROM.

Έχοντας ήδη αναρτήσει μια σειρά από πλούσιες συνεντεύξεις και φωτογραφικό υλικό, η Intel κάνει μια αναδρομή στο παρελθόν της παρουσιάζοντας μερικές από τις μορφές που εμφανίστηκαν ποτέ. Ένας από αυτούς που αξίζει ιδιαίτερη μνεία είναι και ο Dov Frohman, που σκαρφίστηκε την αρχική ιδέα για την EPROM, μια επανα-προγραμματιζόμενη read only μνήμη που πλέον χρησιμοποιείται σχεδόν παντού.

Dov-Frohman-Intel-1.jpg.475e2fe3b6b99c9ec2fe36dd1136b26c.jpg

Ως νέος μηχανικός που μόλις είχε αποφοιτήσει από το Πανεπιστήμιο της Καλιφόρνια, Μπέρκλεϊ, ο Frohman έφτασε μέχρι και τη θέση του Αντι-Προέδρου ενώ η καταγωγή του βοήθησε στη δημιουργία της Intel Israel το 1974. Στη συνέντευξή του αναφέρεται σε αρκετά πράγματα που τότε θεωρούνταν δεδομένα, όμως τώρα τείνουν να λείπουν από την καθημερινότητά μας, όπως τα όνειρα. Μπορείτε να βρείτε την υπόλοιπη συνέντευξη στο newsroom της Intel.

Dov-Frohman-Intel-2.thumb.jpg.c1da1cf08e2a3337338dce18ea1cbdb8.jpg

Q: Was there an “aha!” moment that led to your invention of EPROM?

I don’t believe there was one. I don’t believe any inventor has one. Instead, you daydream. There is so much information around now that inventions don’t come from multitudes of information; they come from hunches.

Q: So how do you suggest people daydream?

Well, it’s not something you work hard at, it’s something that you let happen. And that’s the hardest thing for people to do, because we are taught how to work, and details of it and everything, but we don’t let day dreaming happen. And we’re missing a lot. The bigger the operation, the bigger the organization, the more important daydreaming can be. It’s important for the atmosphere to let people do crazy things. The crazy things can be inventions, can be behavior, can be a vision, or thoughts.

Q: You’ve written a lot about the importance of taking risks. You’ve told the story of how Bob Noyce reacted to your seemingly crazy EPROM idea — of creating a chip with a little clear window on top, so that strong ultraviolet light could be used to erase the chip’s memory.

Yes. I’d been thinking that if I propose to put a lid on the package, in order to be able to erase it with UV, the production people will throw me out of the building, because it was unheard of. And so, I’m contemplating and dreaming and everything, but I don’t have the courage to go propose it. Then I ran into Bob Noyce one day. He said, “Dov, you look preoccupied this morning, what’s the problem?” I told him my idea of using UV to erase memory.  Noyce looked at me and he said, “Why not?” He said it so loud that almost the whole the facility heard it. Those words have really guided me all my life.

Intel-EPROM.JPG.347f4a4ca0557b390176d4bb355630f1.JPG

Πηγή.

Βρείτε μας στα Social:  twitter.jpggplus.jpgfb.jpginsta.jpgyt.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MetallicGR said:

Στη συνέντευξή του αναφέρεται σε αρκετά πράγματα που τότε θεωρούνταν δεδομένα, όμως τώρα τείνουν να λείπουν από την καθημερινότητά μας, όπως τα όνειρα. 

Εκεί στην Intel δεν θα πρέπει να παραπονιούνται, μια χαρά εφιάλτες έχουνε τώρα με την AMD :hehe:

• Haha 3